Day Cream vs. Night Cream
Regardless of skin type, moisturiser is a skincare staple – but different ingredients and formulas do their best work at certain times of day. While the key role of day and night creams is to boost moisture and deliver hydration, secondary benefits come from ingredients that address skin’s differing needs from AM to PM. So, what is day cream and night cream?
Day cream should brighten complexions in the morning, protect skin throughout the day and sit well under makeup. Moisturisers formulated for the morning typically have a thinner consistency than night creams, which are highly concentrated with targeted ingredients and richly textured to support progressive absorption through long hours of sleep. If you’re serious about skincare, using both day cream and night cream can help you achieve your complexion goals – discover Confidence Hydrating Moisturisers Skincare Set.
What does day cream do?
Lightweight and fast absorbing, day cream is a type of moisturiser intended for AM application to deliver lasting moisture and help protect complexions against daytime aggressors.
With anti-ageing ingredients including niacinamide and peptide-lipid complex, Confidence In A Cream Supercharged Hydrating Moisturiser can help even tone, minimise the appearance of fine lines, and support skin elasticity and firmness. Expertly curated to hydrate and moisturise the skin, a trio of squalene, hyaluronic acid and ceramides help reinforce the skin moisture barrier, visibly plump complexions and lock in hydration.
What does night cream do?
Skin cell turnover peaks at night, so it’s a good time to let key skincare ingredients work their magic. One of the key differences between day cream and night cream is the concentration of targeted ingredients, with night cream typically more potent to address concerns during our skin’s overnight reparative process.
To help improve the look and feel of complexions, a night time skincare routine should be built with an ultra-nourishing night cream. IT Cosmetics Confidence In Your Beauty Sleep Night Cream harnesses the skincare benefits of hyaluronic acid alongside ceramides and adenosine to deliver, attract and retain moisture. With a transfer proof, rich formula, the cream slowly absorbs into skin through the night for continuous hydration, so you wake up to supple, soft, and youthful looking skin.
Can you use night cream during the day?
In terms of how to use night cream, it’s important to stick to evening application. There are a few reasons why using night cream in the morning during the day isn’t effective:
- While some skincare ingredients are suitable for both your AM and PM routines, others (like retinol) should only be applied in the evening as they can increase skin’s photosensitivity.
- Night creams lack appropriate protective properties to defend skin against daytime aggressors like UV rays and pollution.
- Because of its thick texture, night cream can start to feel heavy or greasy throughout the day and doesn’t always sit nicely under makeup.
Can day cream be used at night?
Now we’ve answered can you apply night cream during the day, you might also be wondering about the inverse – so, is it a big deal to apply day cream before bed? Skin’s potential to become damaged during sleep is much lower than daytime, as our complexions aren’t exposed to UV rays, pollution and other environmental stressors. Applying your AM moisturiser at night won’t have a major impact, but there are still some things to consider.
- Using day cream at night robs skin of the opportunity to reap the benefits of applying potent formulas during the skin’s heightened skin cell turnover rate at night.
- The valuable nutrients and hydrators contained in a quality night cream can enhance skin cell renewal for a brighter, more youthful complexion.
- As the final step in a PM skincare routine, night cream creates a barrier to seal in your serums and other skincare. This can increase their efficacy and help you achieve your complexion goals sooner.
Understanding how to use day and night cream is just one element of keeping your complexion moisturised. Maintain hydration all year round by learning how to reduce dry winter skin.
Shop All CC+ Cream
Perfect for all skin types, this colour-correcting makeup multitasker is your full-coverage foundation, hydrating face serum and sunscreen—in one product.
Try Your Shade On
Experience IT before you buy it. Try out face makeup, eye and brow products at home or on the go.